Wednesday, September 25, 2013

How RealitySteve is Getting it Right, And We Should Too.


Ah, America. Land of opportunity. Land of equality. Land of using reality TV to make a living?


That's exactly what Steve Carbone does all year long. He's the man behind the popular blog RealitySteve.com who spoils the ending of the hit reality show The Bachelor. Before the season begins, he releases the names of the cast, the date whereabouts, and eventually the "winner." And he's right. Most of the time.

I think it was my senior year of college when I started watching The Bachelor. I was home for the holidays, full of free time, and terrible TV seemed like a brilliant idea. By the time I got back to school, I made it a weekly watch party with some of my friends. I'm of the impatient kind when it comes to endings, so when I heard about the-guy-who-spoils-The-Bachelor, I was all up in his business. I keep up with his blog here and there, and I still watch the show with friends. It's proven to be a really good excuse to eat junk food on a school  work night. 

Knowing who wins on this show is fun for me. I don't know how RealitySteve gets his information, and I'm not here to debate that, but every once in a while, he gets it wrong. And if you want to know what bitter tastes like, check out some of these tweets: 


 


Talk about 

So how does someone respond when they're oh so very wrong?



The next day, RealitySteve posted a recap of the finale with his thoughts, just as he does every Tuesday of the show's season. He took a lot of heat for being wrong. I mean, A LOT. You thought those dance moms were crazy? How about 100 pissed off sorority girls after too much wine. Yikes. Let's also point out that this guy have been sued by ABC multiple times and called out in bajillions of online magazines. Safe to say he should probably go curl up in a ball and cry for the next 3.5 years, right?

WRONG. Amazingly enough, RealitySteve is one of the most humble hate-taking people out there! Here he is making a living off of being right about this silly TV show, and he takes failure with great stride. Check out what he had to say about being wrong:

"I’m not sure what people are expecting today regarding what we saw last night. If you’re                     expecting a long drawn out explanation regarding the wrong spoiler for this season, breaking               down the who/what/when/where and why, I don’t have it. All season the information I was                     given had me 100% convinced Desiree was engaged to Brooks....Bottom line is I was                         wrong. No crying, no whining, no trying to pretend it was something other than it wasn't.  For               the first time in the last seven shows this franchise has produced, I got the season ending                   spoiler wrong. Sucks, but what can I do? Move on, focus on Juan Pablo’s season, and get it               right next time."
                         --www.realitysteve.com

And that's what he did. He didn't disappear. He didn't whine. He didn't try to blame someone else. He was wrong, he acknowledged it, and then he moved one, striving to do better next time.

When was the last time your friend, your spouse, your coworker admitted to being wrong, took full responsibility, and then moved on? Wait--better question, when was the last time YOU admitted to being wrong, took full responsibility, and then moved on?

If you're like most people, you may have not admitted it, maybe you tried to blame some of it on someone else, maybe you beat yourself up for days--years--not letting go. Heck, I'm still mad at myself for being too lazy to take out the trash three weeks ago which led to my dog eating everything in there (including chicken bones). Of course I want to immediately blame him for being nosy and eating what he shouldn't, but let's be honest, had I been more proactive, he wouldn't have had the chance to misbehave in the first place. 

RealitySteve might have a silly job. I mean, for heaven's sake he gets to make a living off watching dumb TV! But he also has to hear the hoards of crazies yell at him when he's wrong. He has to deal with public hate, bullying, and Internet trolls.

He's takes it in stride, accepts responsibility, and uses it to motivate an improvement in his job performance. I think we could all learn a little something from him.  


1 comment:

  1. Ha! Great post. I will miss watching silly TV with you. Stop being in Texas.

    ReplyDelete